Friday, August 22, 2014

Of Generalisations that aren't

I got into a shouting match with Delhi cops. The most common reaction of those around - typical of a jhola kurta woman who thinks that questioning everything is her birthright. Well guess what - it kinda is.

I took my fight to twitter about disrespectful cops in Delhi & some "man" remarked "they were very helpful when I complained about an auto driver, so please don't generalize". The angry me wants to shout " grow a vagina then try speaking to a Delhi cop". The dilliwali in me says " you are kidding right? Are you not aware of the acrimonious relationship between auto drivers & cops? It is the megalomaniac khaki wearer's favorite pastime - picking on auto-drivers".
And the rare rational me wants to argue one point " it is not a generalization, because when it comes to cops there can't be one. As a journalist I am aware of my rights and I know when as a woman I am wronged. There need not always be an open shouting match. There have been snide smiles when as an idealist teen you complained against eve teasers. Or obvious groans when you asked why there was no female cop present when our dilli police was trying to "rescue" an illiterate, non-Hindi speaking woman on the road. There is a reason why my mother let a random 13 year old who was lost, sleep in our house, simply because she didn't want the girl in a police station at night. It is not a one off incident that has led to  this "generalization". As a woman born & brought up in Delhi, this is a generalization 30 years in the making".
So yes, I have a vagina, I am a jhola kurta woman & I am aware of my rights. And the next time one of my kinds makes "sweeping generalizations", ask a woman before you make one.

No comments: